Chemo Day 2 is in the books

 Today was another long day followed by a long night.  I couldn't sleep for whatever reason (whoever knows what keeps my brain active long past I need to be asleep!?).  Dad did well last night.  He never got sick.  He said he had a few seconds of feeling a little nauseous and thought about taking a nausea pill, but then it passed.  That's wonderful!

He and I were both up before 6 a.m.  I was sleeping but heard him up and so I just got up.  We got ready for the day and went to the kitchen here at the House and got some coffee and breakfast and brought it back here to the room.  I couldn't find any paper bowls down there so I gave dad the only single-serve oatmeal in a cup that I could find.  He had toast and jelly, a small Sunny D container, the oatmeal and a cup of coffee.  I only had 4 pieces of toast and coffee.  Still, it was free and we are grateful!

After eating, we both went back to sleep for a little bit.  This time I slept in the recliner which was really good!  We had to leave around 8 to get to the hospital for his first appointment of the day (labs).  We got in and out before his actual appointment time, so we hoped that would bode well for the rest of the day HAHAHAHAHAHA!

We went up to his infusion appointment early, hoping that we could get in early.  His appointment time was 10:30, but we didn't get back there until around noon.  Unfortunately, Dad's hemoglobin had dropped to 7.7, so he had to not only get the fluids and his chemo shots, but a unit of blood as well.  They said they could do both the blood and saline at the same time, but since he'd never had a blood transfusion here, they had to type/cross him first, which seemed to take forever.  Then they had to secure his blood type.  Finally, they said that the blood was ready at the blood bank and they would "tube it" up to them.  We thought great!  We'll be done soon!  45 minutes later, they finally brought the blood up.  Once he was plugged up to the blood, it went quick.  Yesterday they left the line in his arm so they didn't have to keep poking him for blood draws and transfusions as long as the line stayed clear.  That's a blessing!  Less pokes for Dad.

Before the infusion appointment, we went to the pharmacy to pick up the meds that they'd ordered for Dad yesterday.  We picked them up and I thought it was one of the ones he's already on.  When we got back here to the room, Dad checked his med list and it IS written on his handwritten list, but it was not on his UNC med list.  The problem also is that when they ask dad questions about his meds, he just says, "oh everything is the same."  So he was prescribed Levofloxacin 250 mg, but his med list said he's taking it in the 500 mg dose.  I asked Dad if he's taking it, but he doesn't know.  He dumps all of his daily meds in his medication sorter but has no idea what is what.  I went online and researched and contacted the pharmacist here at UNC.  I'm waiting to hear back from her on whether he should continue with the 500 he was already on or take the 250's. What he has with him IS the 500 mg and now has 250 as well.  We just need to know which to take.  I'm afraid that Dad may have taken both without thinking about it until later if he looked at the list and compared it to his meds.  I don't know, but I do see some "cracks." 

After we were finally sprung from the hospital, we headed to Walmart.  Dad's driving is pretty scary sometimes.  He tailgates people, doesn't pay attention to signs and today when we were getting ready to turn, he's still moving forward and a truck could've plowed right into his side of the car.  I hollered for him to stop and the truck layed on the horn.  I drove back from Walmart...

When we were at Walmart, we bought some groceries so we don't have to eat out so much and also so we don't have to use the food that's here at the house.  Dad took a little snooze while I was trying to figure out his medication and message the pharmacist, and then I heated us up some supper.  He really liked it and I gave him half of mine, too.  He took his two chemo pills with supper, so I'm praying that he does well tonight, too.

I am still so in awe of how wonderful this place is.  I went around the property while Dad was brushing his teeth.  We are surrounded by such beauty and it's so crazy to think we are just slightly off a busy road in the middle of Chapel Hill!  It's so peaceful here.

I don't post any of this for anyone else.  No one else would really care.  I want to remember all of it, the good and the bad.  I just want to help Dad.  I want to love Dad.  I want to be present for him in all of this and am grateful to have the chance to do this, no matter what the future holds.





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I just feel a little broken

Sunday, June 5th

New Chemo Begins